Children of all ages suffer from helminth infection. Risk is present everywhere. Especially in kindergarten, with games in the sand, public transport. Symptoms of infection with worms is easily confused with other common diseases. Therefore, adults need to carefully look at the health of children.
Most children are infected with helminths such as roundworm and pinworms. Symptoms of their appearance are slightly different.
- Cough signs of a cold;
- Hives, skin rash infectious and allergic nature;
- Stomatitis, gingivitis, herpes;
- Blueness under the eyes and pale skin;
- Weight reduction.
When infected with worms (pinworms) observed:
- Severe itching in the anal canal (especially in the evening and night);
- Tingling and pain upon defecation;
- In stools the worms of visible size of 0.5-1 cm.
The symptoms should be added:
- Loss of appetite, strong craving for sweets (especially chocolate with nuts);
- Nausea, vomiting, temperature;
- Diarrhea and constipation;
- Lethargy, decreased mental alertness;
- Dull hair color;
- Nervousness, irritability, tearfulness, stress, depression;
- Unexplained fever (even up to 39°).
These symptoms of worms in children 2 years easily mistaken for some other disease. For example: respiratory diseases, bronchitis, intestinal infections, poisoning. Often the cause of allergies are searching on the stimuli among the products or external factors. But it can hide the presence of worms. Incorrect treatment and misdiagnosis contribute to their development. Then the health and even the life of a small child is threatened.
The symptoms of the acute stage
This stage indicates the presence of a worm infestation.
To recognize it you can use these symptoms:
- Severe abdominal pain that will not go away in a few minutes;
- Constipation more than 3 days;
- Attacks of dystonia (increased breathing, panic attack, syndrome of "running ants" on the body, dark eyes, migraine);
- Very bad breath and belching;
The symptoms indicated a large number of worms in the body. This can lead to serious consequences.
- chronic intestinal obstruction;
- chronic form of allergic reactions (including asthma).
Intoxication leads to disruption of the operability of all systems and functions in the body. If time does not begin treatment, worms can lead to very dire consequences.
The symptoms of the chronic stage
Chronic stage suggests that the child is infected with worms. Perhaps even the presence of mixed helminth infections.
There are characteristic symptoms:
- Permanent disorder of stool (diarrhea, constipation);
- Poor appetite, weight loss which is not restored;
- Hair loss, brittle nails;
- Frequent skin rashes, especially urticaria;
- Lethargy, fast fatigue;
- Apathy, isolation, depression;
- Bowel obstruction, liver disease;
- Frequent colds and viral diseases, reduced immunity;
- Frequent vagaries, tantrums, nervousness.
Worms are not as harmless as it may seem initially. If the child has ever been infected by such parasites, then his parents know the consequences firsthand. Can get infected even children in the age of 1-2 years. Health intestinal worms are a serious threat. For example, roundworms in children can cause suffocation.
In addition, you may experience:
- strong intoxication;
- critical weight reduction.
This is dangerous, because there are a large number of drugs from worms, which can be taken in such a small age.
The first signs of worms in children
Most parents notice changes in the health of their children. Signs of worms to determine without testing is not so easy. Especially at the stage of infection. After a few months it goes into an acute form. Then the treatment is long lasting, and bring the worms out of the body more difficult.
The first symptoms of worms in children:
- frequent malfunction in digestion;
- sleep disturbance;
- pain in the abdomen should alert adults.
These symptoms are cause for testing for the presence of worms.
What Komarovsky says about the worms?
Most often the worms infected children aged 1 to 5 years. After this period children actively exploring the world around us. Moreover, in this age is not fully formed gut and its functionality. Therefore, children have more risk of infected with helminths.
Opinion on Kamarouski worms in children:
- Dr. Komarovsky says that children are faced with contamination in the environment – sand, unwashed fruit, toys, fallen to the ground or nipple.
- When playing in a sandbox, not only children but dogs and cats, there is a high probability of infestation. As the animals leave there own experiments with the eggs of worms.
What are the signs of worms in a child calls Komorowski?
Komarovsky says that up to 10 years symptoms of helminthiasis brighter pronounced than in adults. It so happens that the presence of worms is not accompanied by characteristic signs. Then they are actively developing in the body and causes serious illnesses. Therefore, it is necessary to be screened regularly and to take common tests.
Among the symptoms of worms, Komorowski said the following:
- nausea, vomiting;
- pain in the abdomen and in the navel;
- pain in muscles and joints;
- moodiness, quick fatigue;
- reduced or increased appetite;
- circles under the eyes.
Moreover, Komorowski said that it is not necessary grinding of teeth perceived as a sign of helminthiasis. This phenomenon is called bruxism. It is not a pretext for the diagnosis of helminthiasis.
How to identify what to treat and how to prevent it?
To detect the presence of worms using analyses of feces and blood. This is the best way. But the tests you have to pass several times, and the most important thing during the full moon. Then it will be the maximum reliability of the results.
Treatment for ascarids and other parasites must appoint a physician. You should consult a gastroenterologist or other specialists. Usually the treatment is complex and is carried out in two stages. The first is designed to destroy adult worms, and the second on their eggs and larvae.
To prevent infection it is possible only by adhering to the rules of personal hygiene:
- The child has to play in the sand, where not to walk their animals.
- To wash vegetables and fruits before eating.
- Wash hands thoroughly after streets and toilets.
- Do not eat food fallen on the floor or ground.
- After a walk to wash, toys.
As advised by Komorowski to determine the presence of helminths?
Dr. Komarovsky recommends to pay attention to specific children's behavior:
- For example, itching in the anal region.
- If the child talks about it, it is almost always detected by the infecting worms.
If the adult has any suggestions that there may be worms, you have to watch him.
It is important to consider:
- taste changes;
- to control weight.
If for no other reason to change, then these assumptions can be confirmed.
One of the most unpleasant ways is a visual diagnosis of:
- You can see worms in stool or vomit.
- It's very frustrating, but in such cases the worms need to extract in a jar with alcohol or saline.
- Then take that to the lab.
- This will help to determine what the worms in children, symptoms and treatment to quickly to expel them from the body.
Komorowski on preventive measures
Komorowski reminds parents that there is no magic pill that will save the child from Contracting worms.
To take drugs against worms to prevent dangerous. They are toxic and just give them to the child cannot.
The best prevention is personal hygiene. However, such rules must comply with all in house. And children under the age of 10 years should be tested for the presence of worms, every 3-6 months.
Treatment can be strictly traditional or in combination with folk remedies. In this case, take into account how safe is it to take a certain medication in childhood.
Among the traditional agents administered:
- Complex vitamins.
The use of folk remedies
Among the folk remedies recommend:
- Pumpkin seeds.
- Hemp oil.
- Carrot juice.
It is worth noting that even 2-3 symptom of worms, must be a reason for tests. Especially the visualization in Calais. So as soon as possible it is necessary to diagnose and begin treatment.