Worms in children – with this problem we have to face almost all parents. Parasites enter the body in different ways, and disturb the function of internal organs and systems, their waste products provoke the development of intoxication and allergies.
Most children are infected by different helminth species, infection occurs when poor hygiene, through everyday objects. The incubation period is 3-6 weeks, during this time, the number of parasites increases significantly, resulting in negative symptoms.
How do people become infected with worms:
- consumption of dirty water, unwashed vegetables, berries and fruits;
- the contact with Pets and stray animals;
- flies, mosquitoes carry the parasite's eggs;
- games with dirty sand, earth;
- infection with worms occurs by contact of the eggs survive in the environment (if the child will take a dirty object, then touched a hand to his mouth, the parasites penetrate the gastrointestinal tract);
- use of products without appropriate heat treatment;
- intrauterine infection from mother.
The main route of infection with helminths and fecal-oral, larvae enter the body through dirty hands, food and water.
The first signs and symptoms of worms
Manifestations of helminthiasis depends on the settlement of parasites are often signs of infestation confused with the common cold, food poisoning, intestinal infections, allergies.
- Roundworms from the stomach through the blood enter the liver and lungs, after 3 weeks, migrate back to the intestine.
- Pinworms crawl out to lay eggs in the anal area, so can live in the genital organs.
- Some species of parasites affect the liver and pancreas.
- Some types of tapeworm and penetrate the brain tissue.
How to understand that the child has worms:
- prolonged constipation may result from accumulation of parasites in the intestine;
- upset chair – worms produce a special enzyme that speeds up the digestion process in humans, undigested food comes out with plenty of water;
- bloating – for worm infestations flatulence continues for several months;
- nausea, vomiting, increased salivation;
- the decrease or sudden increase in appetite, weight in any case is reduced;
- irritable bowel syndrome – on the background of long-term worm infestations develop inflammation in the digestive tract;
- abdominal pain – often localized in the navel or under the ribs on the right side;
- anemia, vitamin deficiency – worms absorb nutrients, interfere with their normal absorption, the body suffers from deficiency of vitamins and minerals;
- joint and muscle pain;
- dermatological problems occur due to severe poisoning of the body with waste products of helminths – papillomas, acne, urticaria, diathesis;
- the deterioration of nails, hair;
- cough, headache, and other symptoms of colds, sinusitis, adenoids.
For worm infestations changing emotional state of the child – he gets Moody, irritable, disturbed sleep, teenagers have a depressive condition.
Signs of helminthiasis, depending on the type of parasites
In addition to the General symptoms, some types of worms provoke the appearance of specific symptoms.
When infection occurs intense itching in the anal area, which increases during sleep, causing the child often wakes up on the background of fatigue deteriorating memory, reduced school performance. Pathology is often accompanied by enuresis in girls developing inflammatory diseases of the reproductive system, with a strong infection possible inflammation of the Appendix.
Enterobiasis can cause anal itching
Particularly acute in young children, against insect infestation, the temperature rises to 38 degrees, there is a dry cough with phlegm is orange in color, sometimes there is enlargement of lymph nodes, spleen, liver. One of the main features the appearance of a rash on the skin of the feet and hands.
Affected by long-term temperature increase to high levels, expressed allergic reactions, joint pain.
Accompanied by severe cough, asthma attacks, itchy rash abundant, it can damage the cornea.
If the child is often sick with colds, pathology poorly responding to medical treatment may be the cause of the unpleasant symptoms caused by the infection of worms. Accurately identify parasites will help diagnosis.
Tests for worms in children
The main method of diagnosis – analysis of feces and scraping, but this method allows to identify only a small number of parasites, if the results are negative, but the child had signs of helminthiasis, it is necessary to undergo a thorough examination.
- scraping of duct tape with anal folds – do in the morning, the child should not bathe, will empty the intestines;
- coprogram – analysis pass three times at intervals of 5-7 days;
- CBC – determine the number of eosinophils, hemoglobin level;
- chest x-ray, sputum tests – if you suspect the presence of parasites in organs of the respiratory system;
- MRI, CT, ultrasound, you can see the worms in the brain, liver, lungs.
CT will give an opportunity clearly to understand — there are worms or not
One of the most reliable methods of diagnosis of worm infestation – ELISA in the blood detect antibodies and antigens of parasites, determine the level of their concentration. The accuracy of the analysis, more than 95%, to determine the presence of any helminth, regardless of the place of their localization. To know the results in 2-3 days.
The main advantage of the method is to detect the parasites within a few hours after infection, long before the signs of helminthiasis.
Infants rarely suffer from worm infestation, the risk group includes children aged 2-7 years. Infants can become infected with parasites only from family members.
How to pull worms from the child at home?
The detection of parasites in a child should immediately begin drug therapy to avoid severe complications. As an additional method of treatment it is possible to use means of alternative medicine.
The best thing parents can do if you suspect the presence of parasites in a child – to visit the infectious disease specialist or paediatrician. Any potent antiparasitic products make without tentative diagnosis of pointless and dangerous.
Pending the results of the analyses can be carried out only symptomatic treatment.
Vomiting, diarrhea no need to hurry with the medication, the body tries to get rid of all unnecessary, just give the child more fluids to avoid dehydration.
The mainstay of therapy for worm infestations are antiparasitic products, medications released in the form of tablets, suspensions, in the form of rectal suppositories, which allows you to choose a safe and effective cure for a child of any age.
Additional drugs for worm infestations:
- sorbents accelerate the process of cleansing the body, restoring balance to the intestinal microflora.
- bile drugs are prescribed in the defeat of the parasites of the liver, gall bladder;
- laxatives eliminate constipation, promote the elimination of parasites;
- medicine to restore the functions of the digestive tract;
- multivitamin complexes.
Because most drugs do not affect the activity of parasite eggs, take drugs need three times at intervals of 15-20 days. In the diagnosis of helminthiasis in children, treatment should take place for all family members at the same time.
The fight against helminthiasis folk remedies
Methods of nonconventional medicine helps to cleanse the body, eliminate inflammation, reduce signs of intoxication, strengthen the immune system. But only with the help of popular recipes to get rid of the worms difficult and often impossible, to reasonably combine them with taking medication.
Simple recipes home remedies:
- Pour 220ml of boiling water 20 grams of flax seeds and leave for 30 minutes. Drink 100 ml before Breakfast and dinner throughout the week.
- Pour 1 tbsp. of crushed chamomile blossoms 280 ml of boiling water, leave in a covered container to cool. The entire portion of the medicine to drink during the day to continue therapy for 5 days. This is the safest recovery tool functions after a gastrointestinal helminth infections.
- Brew 1 teaspoon of powder of dry sage 500 ml of boiling water, cool, strain. Give the child 20 ml of the beverage three times a day 30 minutes before a meal.
- Pour 1 liter of boiling water 5 kg of fresh sorrel, then simmer the mixture in a water bath 2 hours, strain. Take 2 SIPS before each meal.
- To clean a pomegranate medium size, finely chop the peel, pour 500 ml of water, simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Strain, divide into 3 parts, to give the child 1 portion every half an hour. After 3 hours you need to drink a laxative.
Most parasites survive poorly in acidic medium, in the treatment of worm infestation include in the menu sauerkraut, juices from sour berries and fruits. To speed up the purification process, strengthen the immune system helps fresh carrots and juice from it. At the time of therapy totally abstain from cakes and quick carbs.
Prevention of worm infestation in children
To reduce the risk of helminth infections, from an early age encourage your child to observe elementary rules of hygiene and frequently wash hands thoroughly after streets, visiting the toilet, before eating and after contact with animals. Not to bring dirty hands to the face, do not pull the fingers, any objects in the mouth.
- do not give your baby tap water, products without appropriate heat treatment;
- all fruits and vegetables be washed with hot water, to parboil, heavily contaminated products can be soaked for 7-15 minutes in the soda solution;
- on the walk-to-use spray and wipes with antiseptic action;
- short cut nails to the child;
- avoid swimming in fresh water bodies with standing water;
- protect food, shelter from the flies, not on the street;
- treat the leather, clothing, mosquito repellent;
- conduct regular antiparasitic treatment of Pets.
Important! About the appropriateness of medication for the prevention of helminthic infestations doctors constantly argue. Some experts recommend drinking medications to all children of preschool and younger school age twice a year, other pediatricians are against this method because of anti-parasites-toxic, it is impossible to predict when an infection.
Worms in children is encountered frequently, timely diagnosis and medical therapy will help to quickly eliminate the parasites. Drugs to combat parasites can be bought in pharmacies without prescription, but self-medication is dangerous – improper dosage can cause malfunction of the brain, nervous system, kidneys, liver.